Tuesday 3 January 2012

INTERVIEW: Interview with Mr Yaw Shin Leong (ex-Workers' Party), 5 October 2011

Mr Yaw Shin Leong (left) and Dr Kieran James, Vietnam Eatery, 233 Joo Chiat Road, Singapore, 5 October 2011
My interview with Mr Yaw Shin Leong (ex-Workers’ Party of Singapore)

By Dr Kieran James (University of Southern Queensland),

Personal Interview at: Singapore, 5 October 2011 (interview transcript as amended by YSL on 24 & 25 October 2011)

Mr Yaw Shin Leong became the Workers’ Party MP for Hougang SMC at the May 2011 GE after achieving a +2% swing towards him at this poll. He is the author of a political book in the Mandarin language which he distributed in Hougang SMC during the May 2011 GE campaign. As at the date of our interview he was still serving in his capacity as Workers' Party MP for Hougang SMC. Mr Yaw was fired by the Workers' Party and the Party then won Hougang SMC convincingly at the 2012 by-election.

Roderick Chia celebrates WP wins, 9/5/2011
Kieran James: Was the Workers' Party happy with the results of the May 2011 General Election?

Yaw Shin Leong: Before every single election the Party sets out political objectives and I’m glad to say we achieved all the objectives set for this GE. If you examine from another perspective, SPP [Singapore People’s Party] deployed somewhat similar strategy [as WP] but the execution is different. (Both incumbent MPs stepped out of their respective SMCs). Uncle Chiam See Tong announced his intention to leave Potong Pasir two to three years before the GE but LTK [Low Thia Khiang] said nothing until the Nomination Day itself. The preparations took a long time though. The SG [Secretary-General LTK] had his own internal view.

KJ: When do you think the SG first had the intention to contest a GRC?

YSL: Preparations may be traceable as early as 2001 or 2002. He cannot just leave Hougang like that or we will see disastrous results, we need to build up mechanisms and grassroots.

KJ: This is a history question. Explain to me how and why you became politicised on the opposition side of the fence.

YSL: My late father used to share with me stories about Soong dynasty and Three Kingdoms so it led me to think about what it means serving your country, loving your country, [and] what does it mean to come forward to serve your country. As a young child I didn’t know how to serve my country. I realized later there are ways to serve your country.

As a result of seeing a lack of political balance in Singapore I decided I must do something for my country. In 1997 I remember when Mr JBJ [Jeyaretnam] was at Cheng San Stadium. He said: ‘Here is the police report I made against Goh Chok Tong and his people’. For this sentence he got a legal suit. It made me wonder: What sort of system do we want to live in? [KJ note: The 1997 GE was also a strong motivator for Goh Meng Seng of NSP.] This incident led me to decide which side camp I wanted to be in. In ’91, when LTK won [Hougang SMC], I remember LTK said ‘this is the beginning of the next lap’. I was a 16-year-old boy, the warm and fuzzy feeling was I wanted to be part of that next lap although that was an abstract concept for me. In 2001 I was helping Mr JBJ. JBJ offered me to join the WP. I declined at that time. I joined after JBJ handed the leadership over to LTK. He is a moderate. I can identify with his vision. I joined 24 June 2001. Aljunied GRC, my team was disqualified unfortunately [01 GE].

KJ: Can you give me some further comments on the 2011 GE?

YSL: The results have met the Workers’ Party’s internal political objectives. The results are not even as important as what we can do now to strengthen the foundation of what is already built, to strengthen the democratization process beyond what has already been done. A seed has been sown; a break has been arrived at. For the first time in Singapore’s short political history we broke the PAP’s GRC hegemony. Those people involved need to be diligent and focused and serve with all our efforts for the betterment of the country.

KJ: The percentage increase in the vote in Hougang indicates the community there has a high opinion of you.

YSL: I attribute the percentage increase not so much to myself but to the very foundations which LTK has laid down for Singapore’s democratization process and all the things he has been doing all these years. The people in Hougang understand the importance of what the Workers’ Party is doing. They put the full support behind the candidate.

KJ: What are the Workers’ Party’s plans for the next five years?

YSL: It’s about deepening the connections between the people and the party; understanding local issues and national issues; entrenching the Workers’ Party’s particular gain this year; and leveraging the party for further gains next time. Within that there are detailed plans.

The nation must address policies which are unjust. We have [seen] the HDB form a commercial entity with Keppel Land forming EM Services. With EM Services they took over management of some pre-booked housing and let out to foreigners and Singaporeans. I’m concerned about local Singaporeans. Workers’ Party must speak out against unjust policies. I spoke out on my blog. A journalist followed up on my blog piece with a well written news piece and HDB promised to review the rental model; this is progress before parliament even begins. I hope something good will come out of this. My concern is with Singaporeans needing to pay so much more for renting from EM Services not from HDB. My heart beat is for my local countrymen and women. The Government must put the interests of Singaporeans first following the slogan of Dr Tan Cheng Bock ‘Think Singaporeans First’!

KJ: Why was the Workers’ Party silent during the presidential election in August of this year?

YSL: In the first place the institutionalization of the elected presidency is to protect the incumbent Government if they lose power; they have a friendly force to check on the new government, that was the political intent. It should not be the case. The presidential system should revert back to its former ceremonial one. The party’s stand is not for an elected president. It seems Workers’ Party supporters voted either for Tan Cheng Bock, Tan Jee Say or Tan Kin Lian [KJ smiles at this statement], that is the sensitive thing to say.

KJ: Is Workers’ Party only interested to contest in its heartland in the north-east?

YSL: There is never a strong geographical area without decades of cultivation of the ground. In 1961 [by-election] David Marshall won Anson, that [effect] manifest again in 1981, we recaptured Anson. [Regarding] the geographical area for Workers’ Party there is a Hougang spill over effect as people understand the branding of the Workers’ Party vis a vis LTK’s strong showing as a parliamentarian. Heartlanders can identify with the style of Mr LTK and Workers’ Party.

Before we can learn how to fly we must learn how to run. From a natural strategic perspective it’s always good to have adjoining boundaries to our heartland. I stay in the west. My standard reply to my neighbours who ask ‘When will WP come to the west?’ is: ‘WP will not come soon to the west as we need time to build up infrastructure and support’. It will not happen overnight. In the east the people are familiar with the Workers’ Party over decades. If Anson had been kept there might have been an Anson spill over, call it Hougang effect and Anson effect rather than Hougang and Anson spill over. Let the people decide which seats can be won next time. It’s not for the Workers’ Party to say.

KJ: Why has LTK been so successful?

YSL: Mr LTK has been in politics for some 30 years, he was election agent of JBJ. Some might say his greatest achievement was Aljunied [GRC]. I think his greatest achievement is continuing to survive for 30 years in politics. People know the brand name of his style of politics. He is rational; he speaks when it is necessary to do so. His cautious style of building up Workers’ Party bit by bit and member by member has contributed to what he has built up. He survived the Government putting down his points, sometimes in condescending manners.

KJ: Did the Workers’ Party suffer from the loss of three key members Chia Ti Lik, Goh Meng Seng and James Gomez?

YSL: People come and go; organizations always have their forms of renewal. No individual is indispensable for any organization. An organization must be able to withstand loss of individuals due to different political aspirations. It is a fact that JG, GMS and CTL left Workers’ Party before 2011. In 2011 Aljunied [GRC] still gave ringing endorsement to the candidates, [this fact] speaks volumes.

WP campaign poster, Aljunied GRC, May 2011 GE
KJ: Has the Workers’ Party restricted your online activities as GMS and JG claim this was the reason for them leaving the party?

YSL: It’s always easy to attribute reasons to courses of action but... I’m very active online with blog, Facebook and Twitter. There is no party regulation stopping me posting or engaging with people who post on my blog. I had no issues or problems with that.

I consider myself an activist/ partisan activist rather than a politician. It’s important for every single movement to have a group of activists having a similar purpose who can galvanize the ground and attract volunteers who are not activists. The role of activists in any societal transformation is crucial.

KJ: Thank you very much for your time.

YSL: Thank you

[Start 2.10pm, end 3.20pm]

Kieran James' note: Permission was given for this interview to also be published at THE ONLINE CITIZEN.


Kieran James Note (17 November 2014): We know Mr Yaw Shin Leong has disappeared underground because of events which have happened since this interview took place. On this day three years ago he was gracious, charming, courteous, and very helpful. I never saw him again. I hope that he can continue to support the Singapore opposition cause from a distance and perhaps one day all will be forgotten and forgiven. 

No comments:

Post a Comment